The Year Of Submission

As a previously represented Author/Illustrator it totally stinks to be looking for representation again. I question my judgment…frequently, about moving on from my last agent before I has another one in place. 

A very well know illustrator  gave me some advice about this once. Don’t jump off one rock until you have another one to land on,” he said. Very sound advice.  But this was really hard to do. Agent world is a small place and maneuvering on the down low wasn’t my style and near impossible for someone who hasn’t had a sale. I didn’t want to sound like a crazy writer/illustrator who couldn’t take criticism from their agent? Gosh, I hope not because I LOVE criticism!! I currently pay people to critique me! Along with my dedicated, amazing weekly critique group…love you guys❤️

There are many blogs, stories, and articles, about finding an agent, but not much about moving on from an agent. Especially a super nice, awesome, sweet, talented, we just weren’t on the same page agent. 

Working so hard to get an agent for 10 years and then deciding to give that up, just felt like a huge setback. An agent gave me legitimacy, even if we didn’t have any sales. At first I didn’t know what to do. So I wrote, and wrote. Angsty author at work! 

Now three years out, a pile full of critiqued, polished, critiqued again manuscripts, 2021 is going to be my year of submission. With a handful of lovely, promising rejections already in hand, (and a few revise and resend requests) it’s time to get back to work. 

Respectfully Submitted,
Colleen


Comments

Popular Posts