Heading To the Marvelous Midwest!

More specifically, I will be in Davenport, Iowa for the Marvelous Midwest Conference April 12-14th! I haven't been to an in-person conference in a very long time. It still amazes me the effect Covid had on every aspect of my life, from working in an emergency room, to writing and illustrating children's books. Book conferences came to a screeching halt in 2020 and it has been more difficult to connect with other writers and illustrators because of it.

My very first conference was in 2012 at the SCBWI Annual Conference in LA. Apparently, I decided to jump into conferences headfirst. It was a bit overwhelming for a first conference, but I met some great people, and we are still friends to this day! Shout out to Carolyn, Laura-Susan, Akiko and Sheli, the OG of conference buddies. 

It has been a long road since LA 2012, where I thought I would show up and be "discovered" immediately. Oh, the things I could tell my naive little self now that I know better. It turns out I wasn't discovered by anyone. But I would spend the next 12 years discovering myself as a writer and an illustrator. I was so nervous about making a good impression and being the best, I missed out on a lot of fun. Thank goodness my OG friends could see past all of this. 

Publishing is the long game. There are no shortcuts. Hard work is a must. Patience is a requirement. I have seen very talented people come and go. People way more talented than me. But they didn't have the patience publishing requires of you. I always hear terms like "island time," but nothing compares to publishing time. While you wait, work, improve, and develop, you get to meet and become friends with amazing people! Children's book people are some of the greatest people on earth. The generosity of friendship, knowledge and shared experiences is like no other. 

So, twelve years after my very first conference, I now know that the most important thing about conferences is the experience. I know I am not going to sell a book (or 10) and that is okay. What I do know is that Iowa children's book people know how to throw a conference! And the Marvelous Midwest Conference also includes Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan, and Wisconsin, so my brain can't even comprehend the fun that is about to be unleashed in Davenport! I am now armed with lots of conference experiences, ready to share with anyone who wants to hear all about it. 

Just like my very first conference in 2012, I am packing my illustrator postcards, and my portfolio. My iPad and notebook. A sketchbook I probably won't use. But this conference I am adding my debut picture book (Linden, The Story of a Tree) written and illustrated by me! What I am most excited about is what I am going to come away with, and that is a whole lot of new friends. 

I hope to see you in Iowa! And I can't wait for us to be friends!!

Colleen

Comments

Popular Posts